Wednesday, August 22, 2012

My Early Years: Nature Photography @salainart 2005-2008

I have not had a digital camera for several years now. The consequences of being poor. Other things are of bigger import, like food for example. And the heating bill.

With that said, today I would like to share some photos I have taken in the past that I have neglected to pay much attention to in this blog. 

little white and blue wildflowers macro

When I was growing up in Connecticut, I had my camera with me everywhere I went. I was the kind of person to stop the car and get out on the side of the road to snap a shot of the sunset or a cool looking tree. 

small sunlit waterfall surrounded by forest
On my days off I would go to a local state park and shoot everything in sight. 

I was obsessed with reflections...

clouds reflecting on a still lake in winter
perfect mirror reflection of trees on waterreflection of branches in water during winter snow

...with the natural play of light and shadow...

rock wall in forest

 ...with macro, and super macro...


super macro of a bottle brush looking weed
super macro of pink flowers on dark blue background 
super macro of blue berries 
feather drifting in still water


 ...the colours of the sky...

sunset blue bronze gold
rosy beach sunset in cape cod 
dramatic firey sunsetrainbow sunset behind silhouettes of trees in winter snow
glowing sunset  fading into black

...and don't get me started on trees...

twisted leafless apple treepretty pink tree in autumnwinter forest silhouette


35mm cats eye view of tree black and white35mm cats eye view of tree black and whitethese last two are 35mm. 

I always thought it was so interesting to see the earlier work of my favourite artists. I consider photography to be my foundation. I can see the things that have shaped my aesthetic into what it is today. The photos I had always considered among the best were those that played with perspective and depth of field. Colour and contrast, detail and the absence of detail, have always been a part of my work.

0 comments: