Friday, August 17, 2012

Big Steps

I am so proud, I went to DeSerres (art supply store) today to buy "a few things" and actually left with only a few things-- three to be exact! A financially successful venture! I spoiled myself with a new paintbrush. Joy.

black deer family silhouette sunset What I've been working on lately.. Well, last weekend was my family reunion and as part of the teacup auction fundraiser, I specially made this painted sleigh.I dub thee, La Famille du Foret.

It went to a couple that I wasn't sure I knew (I have a huge family), but that's ok I am happy if they are happy. Several people really really wanted that piece and offered to commission it from me. I've always loved painting silhouettes on vibrant colours (like my Nuke 'Em painting from university that now hangs in my friends' apartment). I will keep in mind to do more at some point.

When I have time! Jeezus, I have commissions up to my ears. Don't let this sound like complaining, I am happy to have work! However, I am not happy to be working the ole day job so much that when I get home I'm completely exhausted. But I push through, because I know each hour I spend doing this brings me closer to my dream of one day doing this full-time.

black and white poster
Speaking of which, may I present to you...

...One of the main reasons I have been so busy lately. Boutik Arts Dans Le Coin opens September 1st in NDG- Montreal. The owner, Marie-Anne Ricci, is a friend of mine through the gym and has hired me to do all of the graphic design for the business. Everything from the logo, the storefront sign, the flyers, etc.. all me. Next week I'll be doing some painting on the walls inside her store which I am really excited about.

This flyer right here happened as a complete fluke. I replaced the image and it was so oversized, yet it 'landed' on the page like this and I thought, "Wow, this is perfect. It's meant to be." I had to change the entire layout and font scheme but it was worth it. It's funny how things work out that way. Don't mind the awkward grey border, this is a screenshot, not finished product.

September 2012, people, and I will have my first pieces on display in a legit art store. I am so excited, and so happy for this opportunity.

The pieces to be on sale in the store on opening day will be:

big colourful abstract collage painting
Ultra, acrylic on canvas, 48" x 48"

blue yellow green white abstract colourful acrylic painting
New Disaster, acrylic on canvas, 16" x 20"

And more, including a brand new piece. But of course, I can't spoil the fun by telling you everything...

0 comments: