Friday, June 8, 2012

Copied from UConversation: Leaving the University Bubble

Due to popular demand from people who do not have an account with Uconversation.com I have copied my latest contribution for your reading pleasure: 

 Leaving the University Bubble | Uconversation
In the spring of my graduation year, 2010, amongst the business of formals, art shows, and final assignments, I also had the task of deciding what university I would be attending in the fall for my Bachelor of Education programme. I had been accepted into two Teacher’s Colleges in Ontario: University of Ottawa and the University of Western Ontario.

Ottawa is only a short drive from Quebec, something I could easily do if I wanted to go back home to the Eastern Townships for the weekend. Western is in London, an eleven hour drive. Ottawa seemed like a good choice for the mere convenience of it, but was I really going to choose this school because it was closer? I forced myself to step back and carefully consider what I was looking for in a university, and ultimately chose Bishop’s sister school, Western. I still like to think it was the school colours of purple and white that made it a done deal in my mind.

I packed my life in my tiny little sports car, and drove halfway across the world (or so it felt like) to a city where I knew only one person, a fellow BU student. She introduced me to London and helped me find a place to live. Then she moved to Vienna, Austria, a week later. I was alone.

London was the biggest challenge I have yet encountered in my short little life. I was in a completely new city and I didn’t know a soul, apart from my new roommates—two girls from France, a Master’s student from Vancouver, and luckily a fellow Teacher’s College student from Toronto.

I had a hard time adjusting. Although I am extremely outgoing and never find it hard to make friends, I nevertheless suffered from extreme loneliness and homesickness. I missed my family and close friends back in Quebec, and spent countless hours on Skype. I was devastated to miss out on Homecoming, Halloween, and other epic holidays at my alma mater. I even missed listening to French radio, and pleaded with my landlord to get RDS so I could at least have the comfort of watching Canadiens games on TV.
I knew going into it that being so far from home would be a challenge, but I embraced it, tears and all. It was hard, but it was worth it. And I learned, so much, so fast, about myself and about people in general. By November I acknowledged to have spun a 360 from where I was in September. I wrote in my journal:
Finally, I am getting a better idea of where I want to be.. one year from now, five years from now, ten years from now.... I am getting more in tune with myself and what I want from my life. That's the biggest part, I think. I know what relationships I want, I know where I want to be, I have my goals set out in front of me.
After eight months of living in London, I overcame personal hardships and emerged a stronger, more confident person. I grew more as a person and made deeper connections with people than I had in four years at BU. If I could go back, I wouldn’t change a thing. My advice to anyone looking at making a similar life change is to embrace this new opportunity with an open mind.
Don’t turn down an opportunity because it is intimidating; take that jump instead of running away from it. Most importantly, go beyond your comfort zone and really test your limits. The farther you push yourself, the more you will gain from it.