Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Artist Trading Cards

black winged angel slow dancing with disappearing manI first learned about Artist Trading Cards when I studied by B.Ed at the University of Western Ontario. A high school art teacher came into my art education class and did a workshop with us. The basic idea is to create a mini-masterpiece on a business card size format. ATC's are not meant to be sold, but rather traded amongst artists and collectors. As an artist, it is a good way to network with other artists and get your name out there.

As I often like to work in collage, I loved making these little ATC's with all sorts of random textures, clippings, and glitter-- lots of glitter!! I also had fun taking an exacto knife to the cardstock in the angel card you see here.
bright pop art deco collage with black and red bird
Because they are small works of art they give you immediate satisfaction as it takes little time to complete. You also aren't as invested in them as you would be in a more serious work, so you can take liberties with experimentation. I can see why this is a great lesson for an art class, and will definitely do these when I have my own students one day.

I only have three currently, but I have started a few more in times where I need to exercise my creative muscle. Look forward to more!!

If you are also an ATC maker I would love to know! I haven't started trading yet but once I have more I definitely will.

0 comments: