Saturday, November 3, 2012

Bambi & Thumper

Bambi has always been a childhood favourite of mine. My sister and I probably know every line by heart, and although we are "all grown up" we still cry when we watch the film.

When my sister became pregnant with her first, and a boy at that, it was a given that Bambi would be a dominant character in this new baby's life. If you saw the gifts she received at the baby shower, you would know I was right. When Bryan was still just the size of an apple, I began planning this piece for his nursery. I wanted to add my style to this iconic Disney character.

And with that I present you, Bambi & Thumper, done in acrylic on canvas paper. Completed, signed, and framed :)

acrylic painting of bambi and thumper seated in golden meadow grass with blue sky background

I just want to say that when I began drawing this from a reference image, I was amazed that despite working in mostly abstract lately, I still possessed the technical skill to replicate the image free hand as if it were second nature. Go me.

As with a lot of my recent work, I am trying to stay diligent in documenting the process. I think it's fascinating to go back and look at a painting from start to finish. Thank you smart phone for making documenting and sharing easier (but not for the poor image quality! better than nothing).

Bambi & Thumper painting from start to finish:


second layer of painting process bambi and thumperfinished piece end of painting process for Bambi and Thumper
Follow my work on Instagram @salainart and Twitter @salain_art

I will be making prints to sell in Boutik Arts Dans Le Coin for the holiday season. Anyone not in the Montreal area interested in buying a print can message me at salain87@gmail.com for a price quote.

0 comments: