Friday, February 22, 2013

I'm Still Alive

Contrary to what my online presence would lead you to believe. The last few months have been quite a ride. I got a promotion, became an aunt, and have been spending minimal time at home (and  even less time in the studio). The pressure of feeling the need to create masterpieces was weighing heavily on me so I decided to take a break.

I felt like Icarus flying too close to the sun, pushing myself harder and higher without realizing it, until all of a sudden I just fell apart at the seams. The decision that I wasn't ready to go for my MFA shook my esteem and my determination. If I wasn't going to pursue la vie boheme for the time being, then what else was there for me? The realisation that there is little work in my field in this city (with the exception of graphic design jobs, which I would never want to do full time) was also disheartening.When my boss offered me a promotion I told him I didn't even know if I wanted to live in Montreal anymore.

I needed to reboot. I put down the paintbrushes, drew the curtain around my studio, and focused on me. I took the new job, and used the gym as an outlet for my stress and anxiety. I picked up pencils and charcoal from time to time, worked on graphic design projects, and I knew that when I was ready I would be able to paint again, this time with no pressure. I am at that point now, where I can revisit my unfinished pieces with a fresh, clear mind.

So with that said, stay tuned.

xoxo

0 comments: