Friday, February 3, 2012

Reinventing myself into who I always was and just didn't realize it..

Hey y'all I thought I'd post what I'm working on right now. My studio at the moment consists of an easel sitting in my living room. Actually the easel is currently collapsed, as lately I've been in the mood to paint while sitting cross-legged on the floor (whatever works, right?).

I'm rising from a little slump in my creative flow. Over the summer-fall months I was so frustrated because I didn't have a clear "vision" and had a bit of an identity crisis in terms of defining my style and brand as an artist. When I did come up with some good ideas I was either unmotivated to start, or I didn't have the means to execute them-- i.e. being to poor to purchase the giant canvases that I would require.

But as the first snows fell over the lovely city of Montreal, thus condemning me to a few months of being antisocial and cooped up in my apartment in order to avoid the awful weather, I decided to hell with needing a plan and that I would just paint. I didn't think about it, I just took out my supplies, and winged it. I painted what I felt. I let the colours mingle on the canvas and just kind of do their own thing. I remembered what painting was all about for me.

Needless to say, I've rediscovered myself as an artist. I've given up on the ideas I've had in my head of pop-art-deco and social commentary, for now at least. I realized my strengths in the work I've produced over the last few years and expanded them into a style. And, finally, I'm happy.

A lot of people ask me why I would post work that isn't finished. I say, why not? I don't care, I don't guard my work like its a big secret. This way, no matter where I am, if I get the itch I can log onto the net and ponder over the pics at least.

The only thing I do ask is that you reserve your comments and constructive critique for yourselves. Nothing annoys me more than people trying to read into my rough work and try to tell me where I should go with it... as if I don't already know? Alrighty, thanks for stopping by!

For the record, these three paintings will all be for sale. They are only about 18x22" so I won't be pricing them too high. If you're interested just send me an email at salain87@gmail.com.



Left: currently untitled, just started it. Center: Angst 99% finished piece. Right: Beautiful Disaster in the works.

0 comments: